Learning Activity 4B
Who Is Christ?
Many Christians are of the understanding that Jesus came into existence when He was born in Bethlehem. In this Learning Activity we will be exploring whether such belief is biblical along with whether Jesus was (is) deity (God) or not.
The reason for our study is that our salvation requires a sinless sacrifice to die on our behalf to satisfy the wrath of God that was due to our all being sinful humans. The only way this could take place was if God Himself took on human form and offered Himself as that sinless sacrifice.
If Jesus was not God in the flesh, then we are not saved and His sacrifice accomplished nothing more than the death of any other human being could have accomplished towards this end which is nothing at all!
- John 17:5
2. What does the verse above tell us about how long Jesus existed?
3. John 8:23
4. What two factors about Himself does Jesus make in the verse above?
5. John 16:28
6. In the verse above, what do we learn about where Jesus said He came from and was going back to?
In the Bible it is a well-known fact that ONLY God could forgive sins.
7. Mark 2:7
8. Luke 5:21
9. In the verses above, who is it that could forgive sins?
10. Matthew 9:6
11. In Matthew 9:2 we see that Jesus is speaking. What did Jesus say about Himself in the verse above?
12. John 5:18
13. What is Jesus saying about Himself in the verse above?
14. John 10:33
15. Since in John 10:30 Jesus had said to the Jewish people that He and His Father are one, what did the Jewish people say Jesus was doing by saying this?
Since we see that Jesus pre-existed His fleshly life here on Earth as Jesus of Nazareth, and lived with the Father prior to that time, then there is every reason to believe that Jesus is one with His Father and is Diety (God).
16. John 1:15
17. John 1:30
18. John was physically born before Jesus of Nazareth (see Luke 1:57 – 2:7), yet in the two verses above what does John the Baptist say about Jesus?
19. John 8:58
20. What does Jesus say about Himself in reference to Abraham?
21. John 17:5
22. What did Jesus say about Himself prior to the creation?
All of the material in this Learning Activity demands a pre-existence of Jesus. He already was “the Son of God” before the foundation of the world and before His life in the flesh as Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus did not come into existence at His fleshly birth because John the Baptist, who was born six months before Jesus states that Jesus existed BEFORE him.
24. Hebrews 7:3
25. This verse in Hebrews is drawing similarities between Melchizedek, king of Salem, and Jesus. What does the verse say the resemblance consists of?
26. John 4:25, 26
27. What does Jesus tell the woman at the well about Himself?
Let us examine a very important statement the Scriptures make about God.
28. John 1:18
Since God is Spirit and our physical vision does not enable us to see into the spiritual world, the above statement is true that no man has seen nor can see God unless He manifests Himself in a physical form. The Bible manifestation that we know best is Jesus of Nazareth (His only begotten Son) who was a physical manifestation.
29. Hebrews 1:3
The verse above makes it clear to us that Jesus of Nazareth is the brightness of the Father’s glory!
30. Colossians 1:15
Here we are told that Jesus is the express image of the personage of the Father.
31. Colossians 2:9
Jesus manifested the Father because all of the fullness of the Godhead dwelled in Him.
Only through the Son (Jesus Christ) can we know God as our Father. Those who seek a way to God apart from the Son cannot know Him personally! A very amazing Bible fact is that when we believe in Christ and what He reveals of Himself to us we also become sons of God, His children, members of His family.
32. Read the following verses in your Bible. John 1:12, Romans 8:16; Galatians 3:26, 4:6.
33. What do the verses say about all those who believe in Christ?
Believing in God results in us becoming sons of God or to be accurate, we become co-sons with Christ! That is a very powerful truth.
34. Romans 8:29
The verse above verifies that we are sons of God because Jesus Christ was the first born and we believers are the “many” who He calls “brethren.”
35. Hebrews 2:11
Another proof of our sonship in God and co-sonship in Christ. If we are sons then we also are co-heirs with Christ because we are children of the Father. This we see clearly in Romans 8:17; and Galatians 4:7.The Father has also appointed Christ heir of all things and we are co-heirs with Christ in everything in this universe. Christ’s inheritance is also our inheritance!
36. Read the following in your Bible. John 1:3; 13:3, Acts 14:15, 1 Corinthians 8:6 and Hebrews 1:2.