Learning Activity 4B
Who Is Christ?
Many Christians are of the understanding that Jesus came into existence when He was born at Bethlehem. In this Learning Activity we will be exploring whether such belief is biblical along with whether Jesus was (is) deity (God) or not.
The reason for our study is that our salvation requires a sinless sacrifice to die on our behalf to satisfy the wrath of God that was due to our all being sinful humans. The only way this could take place was if God Himself took on human form and offered Himself as that sinless sacrifice.
If Jesus was not God in the flesh, then we are not saved and His sacrifice accomplished nothing more than the death of any other human being could have accomplished towards this end which is nothing at all!
- John 17:5
2. What does the verse above tell us about how long Jesus existed?
Jesus has stated in the above that He was in existence prior to creation which would place Him in the realm of “no time and space” if the universe because these were all created and put into place at the creation.
3. John 8:23
4. What two factors about Himself does Jesus make in the verse above?
5. John 16:28
6. In the verse above, what do we learn was the origin of Jesus?
It was a well-known fact that ONLY God could forgive sins.
7. Mark 2:7
8. Luke 5:21
9. In the verses above, who is it that could forgive sins?
10. Matthew 9:6
11. What did Jesus say about Himself in the verse above?
12. John 5:18
13. What is Jesus saying about Himself in the verse above?
14. John 10:33
15. Since in John 10:30 Jesus had said to the Jewish people that He and His Father are one, what did the Jewish people say Jesus was doing by saying this?
If Jesus pre-existed His fleshly life and lived with the Father in a Father/Son relationship, then there is every reason to believe that Jesus is of one substance with His Father and is Diety (God) in the most real sense that is possible.
16. John 1:15
17. John 1:30
18. John was physically born before Jesus of Nazareth (see Luke 1:57 – 2:7), yet in the two verses above what does John the Baptist say about Jesus?
19. John 8:58
20. What does Jesus say about Himself in reference to Abraham?
21. John 17:5
22. What did Jesus say about Himself prior to the creation?
All of the material in this Learning Activity demands a pre-existence of Jesus. He already was “the Son of God” before the foundation of the world and before His life in the flesh as Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus did not come into existence at His fleshly birth because John the Baptist, who was born six months before Jesus states that Jesus existed BEFORE him. If that not be overwhelming proof, let us look at one additional scripture.
23. Micah 5:2
24. The last phrase of this verse should be translated as “from the days of eternity,” or “from everlasting.” Since this verse is speaking about the Messiah to come to Israel, what is it saying about the pre-existence of Jesus?
25. Hebrews 7:3
26. This verse in Hebrews is drawing similarities between Melchizedek, king of Salem, and Jesus. What does the verse say the resemblance consists of?
27. John 4:25, 26
28. What does Jesus tell the woman at the well about Himself?