The Human Spirit
Since God is Spirit, it seems reasonable to expect that we would have some part of us that is also spirit so that we can relate to God. Although our society and culture places a huge emphasis on the physical body, the real you is in your spirit.
Using your Bible, look up the following verses and write them in the space provided. As you proceed answer the questions as they appear in this document.
1. 1 Corinthians 5:5
2. What does the verse above say about the spirit?
3. Hebrews 4:12
4. What does the above verse say about the spirit?
5. Isaiah 26:9
6. What does the verse above say about the spirit?
Note that in the Isaiah verse that both the soul and spirit are involved in desiring and seeking God. Both the soul and the spirit are the non-material parts of man.
7. Romans 8:16 (In this verse the capitalized Spirit is God and the lower case spirit is our spirit).
8. What does the verse above tell us about our spirit?
9. 1 Corinthians 6:17
10. What does the verse above say about the spirit of a believer?
Note: This joining together of the spirit of the believer with the Spirit of God takes place at the instant of our believing in Christ. This joining together in the spirit is referred to by theologians as the Spirit of God mingling, commingling, joining or coming into union with the spirit of man.
Click on Self-Check below to check your understanding.