The Sovereignty of God
The meaning of God’s sovereignty is that He is the supreme authority and all things are under His control. There is nothing that happens in the universe that is outside of God’s influence and authority. In this Learning Activity we will investigate the bsasis and the effects of God’s sovereignty.
I think it might be good to begin our investigation by looking at our salvation. There is much that is written and spoken by those in Christianity that it is the decision of the inquirer that determines the salvation outcome, but is that what the scripture tells us? In order to obtain a biblical answer we must search the entire Bible and pull together an answer that incorporates all of what God has told us about the subject. A person may find a verse that states that we must believe in order to be saved, but the real question that needs to be answered is what are all of the elements involved and required for a person’s salvation?
God’s Sovereignty in Salvation
- John 6:44
2. As you read the verse above, what elements of that verse tell us how our salvation comes about?
Another element that is spoken of is the faith that is required for salvation to take place. Much of what you hear and read may indicate to you that you must personally come up with the faith necessary for salvation. That happens to be an incorrect understanding!
3. Romans 12:3
4. According to this verse in Romans, where does the grace and faith originate for the individual?
5. Ephesians 2:8
6. How does the Ephesians verse say we acquire the grace and faith to be saved?
7. Galatians 2:20
8. Who’s faith is it that Paul says we use to live our lives here on earth?
In case you might still be thinking that you are the important element in this life, read the following verse.
9. John 15:5
10. Just what is it that the John 15:5 verse says that you can do without God?
11. Daniel 4:35
12. What does the Daniel verse say about the inhabitants of heaven and earth?
God’s Sovereignty with Respect to Nature
13. Numbers 21:6
14. Job 37:5, 6
15. Psalms 147:8, 9, 18
16. Jeremiah 10:12, 13
17. Jeremiah 14:22
18. Amos 4:7
19. Mark 4:39-41
20. When you read the scripture contained in items # 13 through # 19 above, would you say that God has sovereignty over nature?
God’s Sovereignty in Our Daily Lives
21. Proverbs 19:21 (NOTE: The word “devices” in the KJV Bible is often translated as “plans”).
22. Proverbs 20:24 (NOTE: The word “goings” in the KVV Bible is often translated as “steps”).
23. James 4:13-15
24. Proverbs 21:1
25. Does it appear that God is involved in our daily lives?
God is Sovereign Over Everything!
26. Psalms 103:19
27. Psalms 115:3
28. Romans 9:20, 21
29. Jeremiah 32:17
30. Ephesians 1:11
31. Colossians 1:16
32. After reviewing all of the avove scriptures do you believe that God is sovereign?
Click on Self-Check below to check your answers.