The Transition of the Bible Covenants
Thus far we have seen that there are two major covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. In this Learning Activity we shall look at the timing of how and when the New Covenant replaced the Old. To do this we must look at the specific language used in the Scriptures to describe this change.
Using your Bible, look up the following verses and write them in the space provided. As you proceed answer the questions as they appear in this document.
1. Matthew 24:3
2. In the verse above, Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives overlooking Jerusalem and the Temple. In verse two Jesus tells the disciples that were with Him that the time is coming when everything they see will be characterized by “There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.” The specific question they asked Jesus was: What would be the sign of His coming, and of the end of the age? The word “world” in the KJV is incorrect and should be “age.”
From the above verse and our previous Learning Activities, what age (covenant) were they in at the time this conversation took place?
3. In the scripture above, what does the phrase “the sign of thy coming” mean to you?
It is a historical fact (to be shown in a later Learning Activity) that the destruction of the city of Jerusalem and the Temple as prophesied by Jesus in verse two took place physically in AD 70 when the Roman army leveled the city!
4. Mark 10: 30 (Note: The word “world” in the KJV is “ages.”
5. What did Jesus say about eternal life in the verse above?
6. Ephesians 1:21 (Note: The word “world” in the KJV should be translated “age.”
7. The best scholarship places the writing of the book of Ephesians at about AD 64. What conclusion can you arrive at as to what point in the two ages (covenants) Paul wrote this statement?
8. Hebrews 1:2
9. In the verse above, the KJV translates “worlds” incorrectly as it should be “ages.” What is the time period mentioned in this verse when the Father sent His Son to speak to the people when this book was written?
10. Hebrews 6:5 (Note: In the KJV, the word “world” in this verse should be “age.”
11. What period of time in the two covenants is the author of the book of Hebrews writing?
The above phasing in and out of the two covenants is depicted on the following chart, Figure Thirteen.
Finally, a graphic illustrating the two covenants contrasted against each other is illustrated in Figure Fifteen below.
Click on Self-Check below to check your answers.